- NEW! Online chronic pain program
- The science
- My story
- Practitioner training
- We are hiring
If it’s not already apparent to you I tend to use the terms somatic psychotherapy, body oriented psychotherapy and mind-body healing interchangeably. In the hands of a skilled practitioner, they should be one and the same thing – a process which helps the client to achieve deep and lasting improvement in whatever challenge they presented with.
Body oriented psychotherapy offers a range of profoundly effective techniques and tools to assist with the work of healing. I use these in addition to the existing range of therapeutic techniques employed in more traditional forms of talk therapy. They include:
- Working with the breath (breath can profoundly shift the amount of vitality in the bodymind and be used to guide the client into deep states of awareness and relaxation)
- Working with the “felt sense” of the body (once you learn to listen to the language of the body, profoundly useful information and insights become available)
- Using the body to transform energy and emotion (whereby the practitioner guides the clients awareness or use of the body to assist in more natural access to and expression of feeling)
- Using touch (which is optional, but if you feel comfortable with it, the use of therapeutic touch can be immensely comforting and supportive, and help to move therapy forward faster)
This is a highly effective way to work with issues such as:
- Significant life changes
- Chronic pain and CFS
- Relationship issues
- Sexual issues
If you would like to discuss this style of therapy for your unique situation, please don’t hesitate to contact me obligation free.
"Since I've started seeing Hal, I've quit drinking and smoking, gone off my antidepressants, stopped feeling shy, dramatically improved my relationships with my partner and with my mother, and largely gotten over my RSI issues.
Its been a transformational few months. I have to give credit to myself and to a course that I'm doing at the moment as well, but seeing Hal has really helped me get in touch with my emotions and given me the capacity to deal with life, rather than avoiding ... >>read more >>
"Seeing Hal changed my life. After 4 years of strong chronic pain I now experience minimal pain and have no restrictions in doing all the activities I love in life. Here is my story.
I initially developed RSI type pain in my wrists from typing and computer use while writing up my PhD. It manifested as strong pain right through both my wrists whenever I typed or used my wrists for normal activities. It eventually got so bad ... >>read more >>